Callicrates are also mountain village at an altitude of 760m and is located in the northern entrance of Sfakia from Rethymno prefecture, in the homonymous plateau and comprises the districts Over Rouga, Pipilida, Lower Rouga and Vranado. The village's name came from the admiral and last defender of Constantinople Manousos Kallikratis. The village was and is the summer residence of the coastal villages Patsianos, Kapsodasos, Skaloti and Argoules, but in recent years has residents.

The village is accessible either through the neighboring villages Asfendou from the west, Asi corner from the east, or from a paved winding road that starts north of the plain of Fragokastello, from the village and ends at Kapsodasos Kallikratis plateau, offering spectacular views of the valley Frangokasteilo and the Mediterranean Sea. The Kallikratianoi as fighters for freedom and grandeur of Greek will be paid by the conquerors with rivers of blood.

The village was completely destroyed in 1770 and 1821 by the Turks. During the Second World War was based on British and New Zealanders and for this reason the Germans in 1943 looted and burned 100 of the 120 houses in the village and executed 20 men and 9 women (among them an elderly 80 year old on her bed) . Operated in the village summer school from March until November, until the late 80s and last enrolled about 20 students.

The inhabitants are engaged in farming, viticulture and beekeeping. In the village there are fruit trees such as quince, walnut, pear, apple, apricot, etc. In the surrounding area there is a small but very beautiful forest of oak trees! Callicrates is an ideal destination for leisure and sightseeing in nature. There are restaurants, cafes and inns. There is also a traditional store where you will find wild Cretan herbs and variety of organic body care products as well as fresh organic drinks and snacks, all local. Big festival is the Assumption of Mary on Aug. 15 in the old historical church and wonderful bell tower, as well as the St. George's Methystis on November 3, patron of shepherds, located north of the road to Asi corner. South of the village starts the gorge of outstanding natural beauty, which after about 2 hours of hiking ends gazing at the Libyan Sea, the village Kapsodasos.

Booking.com

Αυτήν τη στιγμή επισκέπτονται τον ιστότοπό μας 28 επισκέπτες και κανένα μέλος

Go to top μενού