Βρίσκεται περίπου στη θέση της αρχαίας πόλης Τάρρα, η οποία ήκμασε κατά την ρωμαϊκή περίοδο. Υπάρχουν και ίχνη παλαιοχριστιανικών βασιλικών καθώς και τάφοι αυτής της περιόδου. Στην δεύτερη βυζαντινή περίοδο πρώτη μνεία του ονόματος της Αγίας Ρουμέλης συναντάται στο έγγραφο που καθόριζε τα όρια του φέουδου των Σκορδίλιδων στα Σφακιά, το 1182. Αλλά και αργότερα ο Ch. Buondelmonti, το 1415, επισκέφθηκε την Αγία Ρουμέλη όπου θαύμασε αποκεφαλισμένα αγάλματα αρχαίων θεοτήτων.
Πρόκειται επομένως για μια περιοχή με συνεχή ανθρώπινη παρουσία και κατά την πρώτη και κατά την δεύτερη βυζαντινή περίοδο
Οικισμός στα νότια παράλια της επαρχίας που έγινε γνωστός διότι, σε κάποια απόσταση απ' αυτόν, ο Άγιος Ιωάννης ο Ξένος έκτισε τον ναό του Αγίου Παύλου «εις έρημον τόπον οπίσω Αιγιαλόν» στο πρώτο μισό του 11ου αιώνα. Πιθανότατα να μην υπήρχε οικισμός σε αυτήν την ερημική τοποθεσία, αλλά δεν αποκλείεται να βρίσκονταν στη θέση του σημερινού οικισμού του Αγίου Ιωάννη. Στον ίδιο οικισμό βρίσκονται και άλλοι ιστορημένοι ναοί όπως του Αγίου Ιωάννη, με τοιχογραφίες που χρονολογούνται στον 14ο αιώνα, και της Παναγίας, του δευτέρου μισού του 14ου αιώνα.
The village is first found west of the plain of Fragokastello at an altitude of 150m. Located at the exit of the gorge Asfendiotikou. Is relatively new settlement and its inhabitants moved into current location, for dictatorship in the 1970s the village artichokes lying north because of inaccessibility of the area. The artichokes were abandoned since then, but in recent years some homes renovated. The inhabitants engaged in farming and olive. In the village there is the unique Pottery Sfakia. There are two main churches, St. Nectarios and St. Raphael. Here you will find during the summer months fresh vegetables and herbs, and other products from local producers.
Μια ακόμα αρχαία πόλη που ήκμασε κατά την ρωμαϊκή περίοδο. Δεν υπάρχουν συστηματικές ανασκαφές και γι αυτό δεν υπάρχουν σημαντικά ευρήματα της πρώτης περιόδου. Κατά την δεύτερη όμως περίοδο περιγράφεται ως κέντρο της οικογένειας των Σκορδίλιδων, όπως πληροφορεί το έγγραφο που καθορίζει το φέουδό τους.
Δεν αναφέρεται σε ενετικές απογραφές. Βρίσκεται όμως στη θέση της ομώνυμης αρχαίας πόλης. Λόγω έλλειψης ανασκαφών δεν έχουν βρεθεί αξιόλογα ευρήματα. Πάντως είναι βέβαιο ότι υπήρχε κατά την πρώτη βυζαντινή περίοδο διότι αναφέρεται στον Ιεροκλή. Πάντως ίχνη παλαιοχριστιανικής βασιλικής διατηρούνται κάτω από τον ναό του Αρχαγγέλου Μιχαήλ του 14ου αιώνα. Η θέση κατά πάσα πιθανότητα είχε συνεχή κατοίκηση και κατά την πρώτη και κατά την δεύτερη βυζαντινή περίοδο, αφού μάλιστα αναφέρεται και στα έγγραφα τα σχετικά με τον καθορισμό των κτήσεων των 12 Αρχοντόπουλων
The village lies at an altitude of 120m. foothills of the White Mountains at the eastern entrance of Sfakia and southeast of Chania, on the border with the county of Rethymno. During the Venetian occupation refers to the province St. Basil Rethymnon in 1577 by Barozzi. In reporting Sfakian to Venetian authorities in 1594, the settlement referred statue. The inhabitants are engaged in farming and olive. Main feasts of the Virgin Mary on August 15 and St. Peter's on 16 January.
Here is the output of Argoulianou gorge. The village's amphitheater overlooking the Libyan Sea and surrounded by old olive groves. East of the village are the ruins of magnificent Venetian watermill. From Argoules until Skaloti starts the band observation Bearded Vulture barbatus-barbatus. The tour of the region of the village will take you on a journey through space and time with its wild beauty and serenity offered. Here you will find a traditional taverna and cafe.
Το όνομα του οικισμού εξάλλου παραβάλλεται με αυτό του Άσπενδος της Παμφυλίας από το οποίο μπορεί και να κατάγεται.
Έχει βρεθεί υστερορωμαϊκή κεραμική στο σπήλαιο Σκορδολάκια.
Για πρώτη φορά αναφέρεται σε έγγραφο της οικογένειας των Μελισσινών στο έγγραφο των 12 Αρχοντόπουλων του 1182, με το όνομα Σκύφια. Δεν συναντάται στις ενετικές απογραφές, ενώ γίνεται λόγος για τον οικισμό σε δικαστικό έγγραφο του 1388, το οποίο αφορά επαναστάσεις.
Chora Sfakion, just west of the road that reaches from Sfakia Mixers and is the seat of the municipality of Sfakia, police and port station. The village is the versatile regional clinic Sfakia, which was recently renovated thanks to the contribution and mobilization mainly locals entire municipality. Also here there is a county court, post office and kindergarten, elementary, middle school and high school. It is the last village coastline bodied street of Sfakia. From then communication to the west coastal villages is by boat.
The village is built around the harbor and looks the Libyan Sea. Surrounded by large volumes of white Mountains almost abruptly into the sea. The name comes from the ancient Greek word 'Sfax' means divide land because of the gorges of the region. In another interpretation comes from the oleanders are native throughout the region and known locally sfakes. During the Venetian occupation the settlement mentioned by name Obrosgialos. The next year called by the name of Sfakia and then reaches our days as Sfakia.
There is no indication for the existence of people in ancient times. The oldest building there is the Venetian castle of 15th to 16th century, which was called Sfakia (Sfachia) located north of the harbor castle on the hill, where there is a small but beautiful pine forest. Worth ascend up there and enjoy the view. The castle was first used as the basis Providore, the governor of the region during the Venetian period. Then renovated and used by the Turks. The village was destroyed during the revolution Daskalogianni in 1770, and during the revolution of 1821. In 1941, after the Battle of Crete, here gathered several thousand allied soldiers, mostly Australian and New Zealanders who also smuggled to Egypt. There monument, right the way to the port.
The residents of the Venetian period and until the Ottoman Empire had developed a shipping and trade in their own ships. This is reflected in their homes, which differed qualitatively and quantitatively from the arched commonly found in all the other villages. The people involved in tourism, farming and fishing. There are neighborhoods Brogialos, Messochori, Dome, and Georgitsi.
Here you can find hotels, rooms, apartments, tavernas and snack bars. There are also bakeries, dairy, shops and mini market shop, ATMs ATMs, and gas stations. For lovers of diving in the harbor there is a diving center. For those who come by boat, there is secure parking where you can leave your car and trailer your boat. From the port of the country, leaving daily boat to Loutro, Agia Roumeli, switchblade knife, Paleochora, and on the island of Calypso, the beautiful Gavdos. In town there west a small but very beautiful beach 'tap'. Further west on the way to Anopoli lies the idyllic beach of vertigo, with pebbles and caves at both ends. Continuing on the same road a short distance, it starts the path leading to the beach freshwater, where you can go by boat from the city. East of the village there are 2 more beaches. The village and its surroundings, there are 46 of the 100 churches that existed before. Main festivals of St. Panteleimon, Christ, the Virgin Mary, St. Anthony is located in a cave north of the village and has wonderful panoramic view, St. Charalambos in a seaside cave and Agia Triada.
The town is an ideal destination for leisure and tour the wild beauty of the area, choosing whatever your mood, clear waters for swimming, large or small outings for hiking, excursions or trips by car.
Στην περιοχή αυτή και ιδιαίτερα βόρεια του ενετικού φρουρίου, υπάρχουν ενδείξεις κατοίκησης από την ύστερη ρωμαϊκή εποχή αλλά και την πρώτη βυζαντινή. Σε τρεις περιοχές βορειοανατολικά του φρουρίου, ανάμεσα στα χωριά Πατσιανόςκαι Καψόδασος, βρίσκονται απομεινάρια αρκετών μικρών εγκαταστάσεων. Ενώ κάτω από τους ναούς των Αγίου Ευστρατίου και Αγίου Νικήτα, υπάρχουν ίχνη βασιλικών Περιλαμβάνουν ερείπια τοίχων και κτηρίων καθώς και μεγάλο αριθμό κεραμικών της προαραβικής περιόδου. Ίσως αυτοί οι οικισμοί να μην επιβίωσαν στην δεύτερη βυζαντινή περίοδο, όμως απ' ό,τι δηλώνεται με βεβαιότητα υπήρχαν στην πρώτη.
Located in the foothills of the Lefka Oroi at an altitude of 780 meters in the homonymous plateau, and the road from Askyfou to Sfakia, Imbros village is a small mountain village of Sfakia with rich history, it still retains its picturesque character. Its name came from refugees who arrived here in 1479 from the island of Imbros, which owes its name to prehellenic Imvrassia (or Imvramo) god who symbolized the fertility of barren land. It consists of the districts Forest, Lepidiana, Nio village and relaxed. Birthplace of many fighters, repeatedly destroyed the years 1770, 1821, 1824 and 1827. The village stood to defend the captains, and Manoussakas Voloudis in 1770 and gave one of the most devastating battles of the revolution Daskalogianni. Value field and debt fell 300 militants while the enemies lost 800 warriors. The inhabitants engaged in farming and tourism. The Imbros is the birthplace of the great benefactor of Sfakia George XENOUDAKI, whose bust is in the area of the old school who now works as ADS. The same building is to be converted by the municipality museum in his honor. From here starts the title very well known and very beautiful canyon, which after about a half hour hike ends at the Libyan Sea in the village Komitades.
Callicrates are also mountain village at an altitude of 760m and is located in the northern entrance of Sfakia from Rethymno prefecture, in the homonymous plateau and comprises the districts Over Rouga, Pipilida, Lower Rouga and Vranado. The village's name came from the admiral and last defender of Constantinople Manousos Kallikratis. The village was and is the summer residence of the coastal villages Patsianos, Kapsodasos, Skaloti and Argoules, but in recent years has residents.
The village is accessible either through the neighboring villages Asfendou from the west, Asi corner from the east, or from a paved winding road that starts north of the plain of Fragokastello, from the village and ends at Kapsodasos Kallikratis plateau, offering spectacular views of the valley Frangokasteilo and the Mediterranean Sea. The Kallikratianoi as fighters for freedom and grandeur of Greek will be paid by the conquerors with rivers of blood.
The village was completely destroyed in 1770 and 1821 by the Turks. During the Second World War was based on British and New Zealanders and for this reason the Germans in 1943 looted and burned 100 of the 120 houses in the village and executed 20 men and 9 women (among them an elderly 80 year old on her bed) . Operated in the village summer school from March until November, until the late 80s and last enrolled about 20 students.
The inhabitants are engaged in farming, viticulture and beekeeping. In the village there are fruit trees such as quince, walnut, pear, apple, apricot, etc. In the surrounding area there is a small but very beautiful forest of oak trees! Callicrates is an ideal destination for leisure and sightseeing in nature. There are restaurants, cafes and inns. There is also a traditional store where you will find wild Cretan herbs and variety of organic body care products as well as fresh organic drinks and snacks, all local. Big festival is the Assumption of Mary on Aug. 15 in the old historical church and wonderful bell tower, as well as the St. George's Methystis on November 3, patron of shepherds, located north of the road to Asi corner. South of the village starts the gorge of outstanding natural beauty, which after about 2 hours of hiking ends gazing at the Libyan Sea, the village Kapsodasos.
The village is east and a short distance from the Patsianos, north of Frangokasteilo at an altitude of 120 m The name comes from the surname of the first settler Demetrius Kapsodasos where in 1604 referred to as consultant Chania. Although a small village, in the struggles for freedom of the nation gave wonderful heroes. In the village there were also three factories operating in the 1950s. The village is full of olive and carob trees. The inhabitants are engaged in farming, olive growing, beekeeping and tourism.
Here you will find a tavern. East on the road to Skaloti worth visiting the cave Agiasmatsi with splendid decor, which was an ancient sanctuary. In Kapsodasos lies the exit of the gorge Kalikratis. Also from here starts and Bodywork helical path Callicrates where in the middle of the climb you will find the take-off point for paragliders, with breathtaking views of the valley and the Libyan Sea. Between the two villages on the bridge of the stream from the canyon, south starts a dirt road, which passes through old olive with stone walls and then crosses the plain to Fragokastello. The route is very scenic and will take you back in time and nature, on foot or by car. Lord this feast of St. Constantine / mind at the historic church on May 21. South in the plain lies the Byzantine church of St. John.
The beautiful traditional village, located north of the village of St. Nektarios in height 245m. and its inhabitants from the artichokes. The 1970s on dictatorship, the settlement after he moved to St. Nectarios position because of inaccessibility of the area. The village name is derived from artichoke plant whose root resembling potato. The plant is very famous and popular in Cyprus. Crete is unknown and not used in cooking, but the name of the village, witness that the residents knew and perhaps earlier if there were native to or cultivated. The village has a panoramic view of the valley of St. Nektarios and Frangokasteilo and provided protection from pirates and conquerors. The access is from a street that starts from St. Nectarios. Also it was important base of rebels. From here viewed Entrenched dramatic battle Frangokasteilo Sfakians chieftains and rebels, who until the last moment tried in vain to dissuade him Hatzimichalis Ntaliani, not to give battle in the plain. The village lies hidden within old olive groves. Here was no school that still survives today, and two factories, which attest its former glory. Recently some homes have been renovated. The view from the village is breathtaking.
Στα ανατολικά της Χώρας Σφακίων και σε απόσταση περίπου 6χλμ. βρίσκεται το χωριό Κομητάδες. Κτισμένο σε υψόμετρο 200μ. προς την πλευρά του Λιβυκού πελάγους, είναι περιτριγυρισμένο από ελαιώνες. Η ονομασία του προέρχεται είτε από το ενετικό «κόμητες», είτε από το όνομα της παλιάς οικογένειας των Κομητών. Συναντάται μόνο στην απογραφή του Barozzi του 1577 ενώ το όνομά του το οφείλει στο επώνυμο Κομητάς το οποίο απαντάται στην Κρήτη ήδη από το 1368.
Στο χωριό υπάρχει η εκκλησία του Αγίου Γεωργίου, ο οποίος, σύμφωνα με την παράδοση, έσωσε τους κατοίκους από επιδρομή των Σαρακηνών Κουρσάρων το 14ο αιώνα. Στην εκκλησία υπάρχουν περίτεχνες τοιχογραφίες του καλλιτέχνη Ιωάννη Παγωμένου, οι οποίες χρονολογούνται από το 1314. Σώζονται επίσης ενετικά ερείπια. Παράλληλα συναντώνται και ίχνη ρωμαϊκών ερειπίων, πράγμα που σημαίνει ότι ο οικισμός μπορεί να κατοικείται από τότε.
Στην έξοδο του χωριού βρίσκεται το ξωκλήσι του Αγίου Παύλου, κτισμένο μέσα σε ένα από τα σπήλαια του φαραγγιού Ίμπρου και προς το Νότο υπάρχει το μοναστήρι της Αγίας Παναγίας Θυμιανής, που ιδρύθηκε περίπου το 1500. Από εδώ στις 29 Μαίου 1821 ξεκίνησε η επανάσταση για την ανεξαρτησία της Κρήτης.
Ανατολικά των Κομητάδων, στο χωριό Βουβάς, βρίσκεται το μοναστήρι της Αγίας Ζώνης, κτισμένο μέσα σε βράχο.
The village lies at an altitude of 250m from the sea, northwest of Palm Bay is 10 km from Anopoli. Access is from the road Anopoli-Aradaina left at the intersection before the bridge Aradaina. The village is almost hanging in the southern outskirts of the White Mountains. Suffered the same fate during the revolution of 1770 and Daskalogianni destroyed. The residents participated in the revolution of 1821 with several losses, as shown by the censuses of 1821 and 1828, when there were 170 and 107 people respectively. From Livaniana origin had the captain of the 1821 Manousos Vardoulakis or Vardoulomanousos. There are two adjacent Panohori and Katochori. The village was abandoned, but recently renovated some homes. Continuing south of the village you will reach the shores Wolf and Phoenix.
Between Agia Roumeli and Sfakia is the picturesque seaside village of Loutro, bay of Cape Mouri. The communication is done with the boat line and boats from Sfakia is 2 nautical miles. Also be accessed on foot from the town and the path leading to the beach freshwater, lasting about 2 hours, and from Anopoli about an hour.
Here was the ancient city of Phoenix, which was the port of ancient Anopoli and refers to the Acts of the Apostles. Later used as a winter port of the country, because of the protection offered even in strong weather. The village got its name from the springs that were found there, the water of which came from Anopoli. The bath was called Katopoli.
Here Kritagenis worshiped Zeus and Apollo of Delphi. West of the village are the ruins of the ancient city, the temple of Apollo and the Turkish castle. Next to the church of St. Catherine at the entrance of the village still stands the Turkish Koules, built in 1866 and has a circular shape and height. Used as a school. An important building is elementary, located in the middle of the village and it was the building that housed the 'chancellor of Sfakian' during the revolution of 1821.
The bath is the ultimate haven for those seeking the perfect tranquility, relaxation, enjoying the beautiful beaches along with hiking, away from noise, the vastness of the White Mountains and the Libyan Sea. Ideal choice for families, as there are no cars. The water is crystal clear and a little deeper. Here you will find rooms and apartments, and taverns with fresh fish from local fishermen. Apart from the beach of the village, east is the beach 'freshwater'. For the more active, the village you can rent kayaks and to hike the trails and gorges. Main celebrations of the Assumption, St. Anthony and the Holy Cross which is east, it Perivolaki between freshwater and baths, built in the ruins of a Venetian fortress.
The village lies between Anopoli and Ibro, at an altitude of 1010m. It abandoned 50 years. Its inhabitants were participation in all struggles for freedom in many heroes. From here came the cheesemaker Batzelios Barba, who composed the song radicular Daskalogianni from which we derive and important information to Sfakia the time. Even today in the chapel of the Holy Cross, a festival is held on September 14. Access is by dirt road that starts from Anopoli and 14 km The village had its neighborhoods crete, LITINA, Alonia Kathiana, Slip and Tsimali. The 1818 refers to 350 homes. The views Madares (as we call the bare vegetation peaks of the White Mountains) and the Mediterranean Sea, awe and euphoria of the guest who will be found here!
The Nomikiana are side by side with the mute. The village stands the monastery of Agia zone which is built into the huge cliff that lies on her. Celebrates and is celebrated on August 31. East of the village the abattoirs of Sfakia, which have recently been renovated and serve the farmers of Sfakia and surrounding areas.
The village is located northwest of the famous Frangokasteilo at 120m altitude. and at the foot of the peak spikes (alt. 1511m.) of the White Mountains. The village's history and his name due to his brothers even. In 1371 while the Venetians began to build Fragokastello, cheese with leaders of the six siblings spoil the night, what the Venetians built a day. Indeed, because they could not arrest them and had become the fear and terror of the workers, brought the army around the castle, and ships that transported workers at night with boats for safety offshore. Unfortunately after betrayal arrested six siblings and hung as an example, one in each tower and two at the main gate of the fortress. It is estimated that the residents moved to its present location of the village from the south, ie the position are the ruins of the basilica of Aistratigou they found remains of a settlement because of Saracen raids.
The village was the winter home residents Kalikratis. In the 1950s the village operated three factories (mills millstones). There is a district in Prokio. Also in Patsianos belongs settlement FRAGOKASTELLO.
The inhabitants are engaged in farming, olive growing, beekeeping and tourism. The view from the village is apart breathtaking and like in front of the amphitheater, lies the large and fertile plain of Frangokasteilo and the endless plain galazio.Ston mostly cultivated the olive tree and winter legumes, mainly for animal feed.
In the village there is a kindergarten. West of the village is modern mill and operates within the village creamery. Also in the village there are hostels, rooms, bakery and patisserie and west to Sfakia gas station. West and opposite the mill is the Chapel of St. Theodore Tyron hill 'of ornithopoleiou' which was the first church in the village. Celebrated on March 3. It is assumed that the point was city called Xiropolis because of water shortage. At the western end of the village, is a large building-hall, which was originally built for cooperative store but never used, which is to house the cultural multiplex of our municipality.
The village is located at 6 km. east of Fragokastello, 2 kilometers from the sea. The 1577 refers to the province of St. Basil Rethymno. In the census of 1881 reported in the municipality of Sfakia prefecture Kallikratis.
The inhabitants are engaged in farming, olive growing and tourism. The village is surrounded by old olive groves. North of the village, is the exit of the gorge of the sleeve. The gorge is of particular interest because of steep slopes nestles the largest number of griffins (barbatus-barbatus) in Crete and Europe. In the gorge there observation deck where you can enjoy the flights and the special moments of large predators, and learn more about the species. The vulture is the main species, based on which the region of Sfakia joined in European forests 'Natura 2000' in 2001. The ascent or descent of the canyon, you will compensate with more magical moments from kananu (as we call them eagles Sfakia) into the wild beauty of the gorge.
The sleeves are a little plateau at the entrance of the homonymous gorge at an altitude of 720m., Which formerly went by the summer residents Skaloti. There is a new stone church of St. SFAKIANOU Emmanuel and worth go to the fair on August 21. West and just before the village begins the road to the sleeves. In Skaloti owned and the coastal settlement pits with beautiful beaches.
To get there you turn right coming from Fragokastello after intersection Kapsodasos. The route is very scenic and idyllic, passing through olive groves and areas with carob. The pits will find rooms and beautiful restaurants. In crossing to pit, if you continue east you will reach the eastern edge of the municipality of Sfakia on the also beautiful beaches of Agia Marina and meadows. There there is a taverna. Also in Greater Skaloti there with Byzantine frescoes church of Prophet Elias (festival July 20) and St. Marina (festival July 17).
The Vouvas is the capital of the arrondissement Asfendou which consists of the villages Asfendou, Agios Nektarios Nomikiana and mute is built at an altitude of 190 m and is located about 2 km from the sea. The tradition says that Vouvianoi moved from position "of Damanou accommodation" because of the Saracens. Bell traveled Sfakia year 1549 and writes that he saw at the festival of Agia Paraskevi dancing Sfakians wearing shoulder bow and loaded his quiver with arrows. The festival continues to this day on 26 July. Another festival is established, that of Ai Sifi a new small church located south of the village on the way to the beach Koutelos on July 31. Was and is a village in which there were two factories with millstones. The village and the valley stretching south and east is teeming with where olive trees (olive). In SILENT is 6 classes primary school and kindergarten. Also there is the municipal gym, and mill. The inhabitants are engaged in farming, olive growing beekeeping and fishing. In the village you can find a bakery, creamery, mini markets, and apartments and rooms to descend to the beach Koutelos. The caves in that area, nesting and breeding seals monachus-monachus. That's why this post is called "seal".
he village lies at an altitude of 150m. the road after comets to Fragokastello. The name "vraskas or vraskias" is professional. Vraski said even in Crete the earthen vessel used as cell and therefore the potter said vraskias. Here and in a very old olive grove, is the church of St. George. North of the village is a large chasm.